1. Name of the Administrative Department: Department of Home Affairs and Jail
2. Minister In charge:
|Capt. Amarinder Singh
Chief Minister Punjab
3. Additional Chief Secretary / Financial Commissioner / Principal Secretary / Secretary of Administrative Department:
|Name & Designation||Telephone Nos.|
|Dr. Nirmaljit Singh Kalsi IAS
Additional Chief Secretary Home
4. Head of Department:
|Name & Designation||Telephone Nos.|
|Dr. Nirmaljit Singh Kalsi IAS
Additional Chief Secretary Home
5. Business Rules of the department:
A. HOME AFFAIRS
Department of Home Affairs and Justice is an important State Department and plays a vital role managing Law and Order Administration, Safety and Security and curbing crime issues and taking actions on subsequent prosecution thereof. It deals with matters relating to civil defence, jails and justice. It also deals with the matters connected with the Police, Railway Police and the Punjab Armed Police.
- Administration of the following Acts:-
- The Public Gambling Act, 1867
- The Dramatic Performances Act, 1876
- The Manoeuvres, Field Firing and Artillery Practice Act, 1938
- The Punjab Cinemas (Regulation) Act, 1952
- The Commission of Enquiry Act, 1952
- The Citizenship Act, 1955
- The Punjab Instruments (Control of Noises) Act, 1956
- The Arins Act, 1959 and the rules made there under
- The Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967
- The Punjab and Chandigarh (Disturbed Areas) Act, 1983
- The Punjab and Chandigarh (Special Powers of Armed Forces) Act, 1983
- The Prevention of Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act, 1988 (Central Act No.46 of 1988)
- Air Bombing Ranges.
- Grant of awards and rewards for rescuing from drowning and unnatural upheavals.
- Liaison with the Boarder Security Force.
- Criminal Investigation Department.
- Policy relating to change of names.
- Establishment of check posts.
- Award of compensation for loss or life on duty, etc.
- Military Deserters.
- Matters concerning law and order including questions relating to the following heads:-
- Imposition of ban under section 144 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973
- Calling of troops in aid of civil authorities and clashes between civil and military
- Conference between civil and military officers
- Enemy-schedule of persons and firms specified
- Processions and fairs
- Tranquility of the State
- Monthly crime statements- all matters connected therewith including means to control crime
- Railway accidents
- Political bodies and politics in general
- Security and intelligence, including espionage and counter-espionage
- All matters connected with the Police, Railway Police and the Punjab Armed Police including :-
- Collective fines and punitive police post
- President's Police and Fire Service Medals and Police Medals
- Preventive Detention under any law for the time being in force, and Advisory Boards.
- Grant of sanction of prosecution of offenders under the Explosive Substances Act, 1908.
- Restricted maps.
- Thaggi and Dacoity cases.
- Verification of a1ltecedents of persons including persons employed in the Defence Department.
- War and War Book.
- Charitable Endowments.
- Ecclesiastical Administration including European cemeteries and ecclesiastical Budget.
- Hindu Dharmsthans.
- Holding of trials within the Jail premises.
- Regulation of Muslim Evacuee Trust properties of non-religious nature.
- All matters connected with passports including:-
- Deportation of foreigners and their blacklisting
- Emigration from and immigration into India and deportation of Indians
- Emergency Certificates to persons of Indian origin who are originally residing outside India to enable them to come back to India
- Entry of foreigners into restricted area
- Grant of India-Pakistan Passports
- Grant of visas for India to foreigners including return visas and no objection to return to India endorsements
- No objection certificates to Indians who want to settle in Canada or in the United States of America
- Registration of foreigners
- All matters connected with Press under the following heads:-
- Control including Censorship
- Publication (Newspapers, Books, Posters, Pamphlets etc.)
- Printing Presses -- Control of
- Prosecution in respect of newspapers and other publications
- Implementation of the recommendations of the High Level Committees regarding restructuring and reorganisation of Police.
- Law Department Manual.
- Indian Law Reports – questions connected with the printing, distribution, supply and audit thereof.
- All references relating to the establishment and budget of the office of the Legal Remembrance.
- Crisis Management Plan, constitution of crisis Management Committees and allied matters.
- The Punjab Police Housing Corporation.
- Declaration of various towns and cities as holy towns and cities.
B. CIVIL DEFENCE
- All matters connected with Civil Defence measures.
- All references concerning Civil Defence training at Central Emergency Relief Training Institute, Nagpur.
- All matters relating to Home Guards.
- Establishment of Jails.
- Administration and discipline in factories belonging to the Jails.
- Classification of prisoners.
- Release including removal of criminal lunatics.
- All matters relating to the establishment of industrial, agricultural reformatory settlements and schools under section 14 of the Punjab Habitual Offenders (Control and Reforms) Act, 1952 including transfer of registered persons from one settlement to the other.
- Establishment of Reformatory Schools under the Reformatory Schools Act, 1897, and all references to these schools.
- Exchange of Muslim and non-Muslim Prisoners and records connected therewith.
- Commitments of habitual offenders in the reformatory settlements established under section 14 of the Punjab Habitual Offenders (Contro1 and Reforms) Act, 1952.
- All matters relating to the administration of the following Acts:-
- The Good Conduct Prisoners Probational Release Act 1926
- The Probation of Offenders Act, 1958
- All matters concerning hunger strikes in Jails.
- Construction, additions, alterations and maintenance of Judicial lock-ups including supply of diet to the under trials lodged therein.
- Medical Officers and Medical Staff employees in Jails.
- Petitions for commutation under section 433 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973.
- Appointment of non-official visitors to Jails and Judicial lock-ups including action on their inspection notes.
- Prisoner's Aid Society.
- Escape and recapture of prisoners and under trials.
- Proposals for the grant of pardons or commutation of sentences in pursuance of article 161 of the Constitution of India.
- All cases of release on parole and furlough etc.
- Grant of remission and release of prisoners under section 432 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973.
- Entertainment of petitions for mercy against sentence of death for consideration by the Governor of Punjab or President of India.
- All matters relating to-
- The administration of Criminal and Civil Justice including constitution, powers, maintenance and organisation of Courts, Criminal and Civil Jurisdiction, within the State.
- The High Court Judges and the Superior Judicial Service
- The Punjab Civil Services (Judicial Branch)
- The Advocate General's office establishment including preparation of the High Court State Counsel List, establishment and budget matters of the Advocate General's office
- The Administrator-General and Official Trustee and the Treasurer Charitable Endowments.
- The appointment, posting, transfers, leave, payment of fees etc. of Government pleaders, public prosecutors, Special Public Prosecutors and District Attorneys, Deputy District Attorneys and Assistant District Attorneys
- The establishment and budget of the High Court of Punjab and Haryana and Courts subordinate to it
- The acquisition of land for defence purpose
- The Directorate of Prosecution and Litigation
- Camping grounds.
- Conduct of particular cases in courts including the Supreme Court of India.
- All references received from the Advocate on Record for the State of Punjab in the Supreme Court of India including conducting of cases in Supreme Court through him.
- Collection of information from various Departments regarding action taken in regard to the strictures passed by judicial courts against public servants.
- Copies of judgments received from the High Court of Punjab and Haryana.
- Authorising the officers for the execution of deeds and contracts on behalf of the Governor of Punjab under Article 299 of the Constitution of India.
- All matters relating to the administration of the Suppression of the Immoral Traffic in Women and Girls Act, 1956 and rules framed there under.
- All matters relating to the enforcement of Civil Law including laws regarding status, property, civil rights and liabilities and the civil procedure.
- Determination of marriage status under the Indian Christian Marriage Act, 1872.
- Entertainment of application for relief under the Maintenance Orders Enforcement 1921.
- The Punjab Separation of Judicial and the executive Functions Act 1964.
- Entertainment summons issued by the High Court of Punjab and Haryana Miscellaneous, Civil and Writ Cases against Government.
- Establishment of courts for trials of cases under the Juvenile Justice Act, 1986.
- Filing of appeals against the orders of acquittals passed by the lower courts or the High Court of Punjab and Haryana and application in the Court of competent jurisdiction for enhancement of sentences.
- Fixation of contribution to be recovered from different Departments of the Central Government for the work done on their behalf by the Law Officers of the State Government.
- Forwarding of Letters of Probate and Administration and letters of requests and interrogatories, to the proper quarters for necessary action.
- All matters concerning management of petty sheriffs accounts.
- Requests to the High Court of Punjab and Haryana for issue of instructions to courts for expediting the disposal of cases, etc.
- All matters concerning appointments of Official Receivers and Notaries public.
- All matters relating to State Law Reports.
- All matters relating to the withdrawal of prosecution cases pending trial from the courts of competent jurisdiction.
- Law and Order Coordination.
- All matters relating to the Construction of Judicial Complexes including residence complexes for judicial officers at Divisional, District, Tehsil and Sub Tehsil Level.
- All matters relating to Welfare of Minorities and Minority Commission.
- All matters relating to:-
- The Punjab Wakf Board
- The Haj Committee
F. PUNJAB POLICE HOUSING CORPORATION LTD.
The Punjab Police Housing Corporation Limited was established by the Punjab Government on the basis "ACTION PLAN" prepared by the Government of India with the aim of having an agency which could construct buildings of the Police Department efficiently and promptly. The satisfaction level of the Police housings for the Police personnal with reference to then existing strength of Police forces was very scanty i.e. only 8% of the required accommodation which was required to be raised atleast to 40% by constructing about 3000-4000 houses every year. The background for setting up of the Punjab Police Housing Corporation is that till 1976, the work regarding construction of houses and Police buildings was entrusted to the Punjab Public Works Department. The P.W.D could not give priority for Police housing works and during the year 1979, the work was entrusted to Punjab Housing Development Board. The Housing Board could also not devote the desired attention to the Police Housings as a result of which Punjab Police Housing Corporation was incorporated on 30th March, 1989 with the Authorized Capital of Rs.5.00 crores. Since the inception of the Corporation work worth Rs. 396.86 crores have been executed upto 31.03.09, it constructed 8670 houses, 137 large/ medium/small size police stations, barrack accommodation for 3354 men & women, Hostel accommodation for 5000 men, 2no. SSP office- cum-residences and 14 DSP office-cum-residences. Besides six storeyed, Punjab Police Headquarters Building, Sector-9, Chandigarh has been constructed within the stipulated time schedule. Various buildings which includes Boys Hostel, Girls Hostel, Indoor Training Block, Outdoor Block, Laboratory Workshop, Admn. Block, Multimedia Projection Hall and Guest House have been got constructed at PRTC Jahankhelan for setting up of Punjab Security Training Institute. Construction/Renovation work of various Jails in Punjab have been got executed under the scheme of Modernization of Prisons which includes 260 houses, Barracks for 2358 mail inmates and for 1009 female inmates, 5 no. Hospital Buildings, 5 no. kitchens, 8 no. Warder Lines, 02 no. Factory Shed, 1 no. Admn. Block, 16 no. Watch Towers and 2 no. Mulakat Rooms. Besides this, construction work of New Jails at Nabha & Mansa is nearing completion.
6. Services provided by Department:-
7. Names of Board / Corporations / Commissions / Societies working under the control of the Administrative Department along with information of their Heads as under:
|Name & Designation||Telephone Nos.||Office Website|
|Sh. Suresh Arora, IPS
Director General of Police
|Sh. G. D. Pandey, IPS
DGP -cum Comdt. Genl. PHG &
Director Civil Defense, Punjab
|Sh. M.K. Tiwari, IPS
Addl. Director General of Police
|Sh. R. P. Singh, IPS
DGM cum MD Punjab Police
Housing Corporation, Mohali
|Sh. Gobinder Singh,
Distt. Session Judge cum
Legal Service Authority
|Sh. T. H. Falahi
Punjab Wakf Board
|Sh. Vivek Puri
LR, Legal Remembrance
|Sh. B. Sarkar IAS
Human Right Commission
|Smt. Seema Shardha
Director Forensic Laboratory
|Dr. Kanwaljeet Singh bawa
For detailed information:
Department's Website: -