1. Name of the Administrative Department: Department of Local Government
2. Minister In charge:
|Sh. Navjot Singh Sidhu
F - 240931
3. Additional Chief Secretary / Financial Commissioner / Principal Secretary / Secretary of Administrative Department:
|Name & Designation
|Sh. A Venu Prasad IAS
The Department of Local Government was established in the year 1966 and was given permanent status in the year 1979. Its main functions are to direct, supervise and control the functioning of all the Municipal Corporations, Municipal Councils, Nagar Panchayats and Improvement Trusts in the State, to implement the State/Centrally sponsored schemes through these urban local bodies and to get the water supply and sewerage schemes executed through Punjab Water Supply and Sewerage Board for which the Department serves as Administrative Department.
ALLOCATION OF BUSINESS RULES:-
- All matters relating to:-
- Acquisition of land by the Urban Local Bodies
- Alienation or lease of Municipal Properties
- Lease of Nazool land for a period not exceeding ten years wherever such land has been placed under the control of local bodies for purposes of management under a general or special order of the Government
- Administration of the following Acts:-
- The East Punjab Urban Rent Restriction Act, 1949
- The Indian Christian Marriage Act, 1872
- The Punjab Town Improvement Act, 1922
- The State Carriage Act, 1861
- The Punjab Slum Areas (Improvement and Clearance) Act, 1961
- The Punjab Water Supply and Sewerage Board Act, 1976
- The Punjab Municipal Act, 1911
- The Punjab Municipal Corporation Act, 1976
- The Punjab Municipal (Executive Officer) Act, 1931
- The Punjab Development of Damaged Areas Act, 1951
- The Punjab Local Authorities Laws (Exercise of Powers) Act, 1953
- The Local Authorities Loans Act, 1914
- The East Punjab Local Authorities (Restriction of Functions) Act, 1947
- Local Fund Audit.
- Municipal Corporations, Municipal Committees, Notified Areas Committees and Improvement Trusts.
- Establishment of Directorate of Local Government.
- Slum Clearance and Slum Development Schemes.
Punjab Water Supply & Sewerage Board :-
Punjab Water Supply and Sewerage Board (PWSSB) is a Punjab Govt. undertaking under Local Govt. Department with its Head Office at Chandigarh. This Board was set up under Punjab Govt. Act No.28 of 1976, for planning designing and execution of various Water Supply and Sewerage works of Urban Local Bodies PWSSB has completed 39 years of service to people on 1.1.2015.
For more information on Punjab Water Supply and Sewerage Board click here
For Detailed Information:
Department's Website: www.lgpunjab.gov.in