1. Name of the Administrative Department: Department of Personnel
2. Minister In charge:
|Capt. Amarinder Singh
Chief Minister Punjab
3. Additional Chief Secretary / Financial Commissioner / Principal Secretary / Secretary of Administrative Department:
|Name & Designation||Telephone Nos.|
|Sh. Karan Avtar Singh IAS
Chief Secretary Punjab
4. Head of Department:
|Name & Designation||Telephone Nos.|
|Sh. A.S. Miglani IAS Secretary Personnelemail@example.com||0172-2740553||-||-|
5. Business Rules of the department:
A. Personnel Policies
- Formulation of Policy regarding personnels and service matters
- All matters relating to -
- the Punjab Civil Services (Promotion of Stenographers and Steno-typists) Rules, 1961;
- the Punjab Civil Services (Appointment by Promotion) Rules, 1962;
- the Punjab State (Class IV) Service Rules, 1963;
- the Government Employees Conduct Rules, 1966;
- the Punjab Civil Services (Punishment and Appeal) Rules, 1970;
- the Punjab Civil Services (Premature Retirement) Rules, 1975; and
- the Assistant Grade Examination Rules, 1984.
- All matters and procedure relating to the retirement and promotion of officers whose conduct is the subject of enquiry and matters connected therewith.
- Policy regarding-
- promotion of Class IV Employees to Class III posts;
- appointment, promotion, posting and tenure etc. of Heads of Departments including their confirmation;
- creation and declaration of posts of Heads of Departments including change in nomenclature;
- departmental tests and examinations;
- private employment or employment in other Departments of Punjab Government or under other Governments, sought by the Government employees;
- representation and memorials by Government servants;
- conversion of temporary posts into permanent ones;
- recognition of Association of Government employees;
- ex-gratia grant and other facilities for families of Government employees who die while on duty;
- naming of places and institutions after Government employees;
- grant of permission to Government employees for the acquisition of higher qualifications;
- employment of Class IV employees as domestic servants;
- concession to Government employees who learn foreign languages;
- grant of advance increments, incentives and awards to Government employees;
- punctuality in office attendance;
- holidays, working hours, casual leave, earned special casual leave etc.;
- deputation of Government employees;
- travel concession to Government employees;
- maintenance of service books and personal files;
- alteration in the date of birth of Government employees;
- change of name of Government employees;
- fixation of joining time in case of candidates recommended by the Punjab Public Service Commission and Punjab Subordinate Services Selection Board etc.;
- regularization of services of adhoc employees;
- classification of offices;
- classification of services, and declaration of posts as gazetted and non-gazetted; and
- employment of near relatives of Government employees in private undertakings enjoying Government patronage.
- References from other Departments to be submitted to the Chief Minister as required under Rules of Business of the Government of Punjab relating to appointments, transfers, postings and disciplinary matters, including appointments etc. to the posts of Chairmen, Managing Director of Public Sector Undertakings, Corporations and Boards etc..
- All matters relating to the Punjab Public Service Commission, the Subordinate Services Selection Board and any other Recruitment Committee or Agency or otherwise.
- Exclusion of posts from the purview of the Punjab Public Service Commission and Punjab Subordinate Services Selection Board as an exception to the general policy of recruitment.
- Postings and transfers including inter-departmental transfers under Rule 3.17 of the Punjab Civil Services Rules, Volume I, Part I.h. Framing of Model Service Rules and scrutiny of Service Rules framed by various Departments
- Framing of Model Service Rules and scrutiny of Service Rules framed by various Departments.
- Formulation and amendment of Confidential Rolls Rules and policy regarding annual confidential reports of Government employees.
- Priority lists for various categories of persons for employment in State Services.
- Compilation of instructions issued from time to time on service matters.
- Matters relating to release of benefits to the families of deceased Government employees.
- Demands of Government employees.
- Pay Commission-Appointment, terms and conditions thereof.
- Matters concerning representation of Punjab in Chandigarh Administration.
- Conferment of Secretariat status on Heads of Executive Departments.
- State Administrative Tribunal.
- All matters relating to the absorption of surplus staff of Government Departments and quasi-Government organisations and Public Sector Undertakings
- All matters relating to policy regarding Administrative Training, research and allied activities including the following:-
- Design and conduct of induction and mid-service capacity building of the personnel in the Government, Public Sector Undertakings, Panchayati Raj Institutions and Local Bodies etc.,
- Coordination with departmental training institutions of the State Government to ensure quality and to optimize the state resources,
- Laying down standards and guidelines for design and conduct of training programs and development of trainers for various sphere sectors of governance.
- Policy, syllabus and conduct of departmental tests and examinations,
- Studies in governance and public policy research,
- Development of research and training associate for undertaking such activities in various spheres of governance, and
- Training certification, coordination and setting standards for the entire State.
- All matters relating to the mahatma Gandhi Institute of Public Administration, Punjab, the Apex State Institute for Administrative research and training in Public Administration.
- The training of officers belonging to the Indian Administrative Services, the Indian Police Services and other officers.
- The training of probationers belonging to the Indian Administrative Services, the Indian Police Services, and the Punjab Civil services (Executive Branch)
- Work of Result Frame Work Document.
C. Establishment Matters
- Indian Administrative Service and Punjab Civil Services (Executive Branch) cadre fixation and review of and creation of posts in various scales.
- All matters relating to the establishment of the Indian Administrative Services and Punjab Civil Services.
- Rules and Regulations concerning Indian Administrative Services and other All India Services.
- Maintenance of Character Rolls of the members of the Indian Administrative Services and Punjab Civil Services (executive Branch) Officers-issue of appreciation letters and communication of adverse remarks.
- Preparation of Select List of members of the Punjab Civil Services, and Officers of other services serving in the State, for appointment to the Indian Administrative Services.
- Maintenance of property returns of the members of the Indian Administrative Services and the Punjab Civil Services Officers and grant of permission to them for the sale or purchase of property.
- Conferment of powers on the members of the Indian Administrative Services and the Punjab Civil Services Officers.
- Grant of casual leave to Divisional Commissioners and Administrative Secretaries-Approval of tour programme of Divisional Commissioners.
- Deputation of the members of the Indian Administrative Services and the Punjab Civil Services to Government of India, other state Governments, autonomous bodies and to foreign countries.
- All matters relating to the Departmental examination conducted by the Central Committee of Examinations.
- Grant of permission to the Commissioners and Deputy Commissioners to leave headquarters for attending meeting(s) at Chandigarh.
- Maintenance and circulation of lists of Administrative Secretaries in Punjab.
- All work relating to salaries etc. of officers belonging to the Indian Administrative Services and Punjab Civil Services (Executive Branch) which was previously done by the office of the Accountant General.
- Matters relating to Liaison Officers at Delhi and Calcutta.
- Matters relating to the Resident Representative of Punjab in New Delhi.
- Re-employment of the members of the Indian Administrative Services after the age of superannuation.
- Appointment of the members of the Indian Administrative Services as arbitrators concerning cases of various Government Departments and Autonomous Bodies.
D. Advisory Council
- All matters relating to:-
- Sub-monotone Areas Advisory Council;
- Boarder Areas Advisory Council; and
- Bet Areas Advisory Council
including convening of their regular meetings and pursuit of action thereon with the concerned Departments.
6. Services provided by Department:
- Residential Certificate
7. Names of Board / Corporations / Commissions / Societies working under the control of the Administrative Department along with information of their Heads as under:
|Name & Designation||Telephone Nos.||Office Website|
| Mrs. Jaspreet Talwar IAS
Director Mahatma Gandhi State
Institute of Public Administration
|Smt. Jasleen Kaur PCS
Secretary Punjab Public
Service Commission, Patiala
|Mr. Amarbir Singh PCS
Secretary, SSS Board
SAS Nagar, Mohali
For detailed information:
Department's Website: Not Available