1. Name of the Administrative Department: Punjab Public Works Department (Building & Roads)
2. Minister In charge:
|Smt. Razia Sultana
Minister of State
3. Additional Chief Secretary / Financial Commissioner / Principal Secretary / Secretary of Administrative Department:
|Name & Designation||Telephone Nos.|
|Sh. Hussan Lal IAS
|Ms. Madvi Katria PCS
Special Secretary PWD
|Ms. Dharm Devi
Deputy Secretary PWD
4. Head of Department:
|Name & Designation||Telephone Nos.|
|Er. A. K. Singla
Chief Engineer (H.Q./NH)
5. Business Rules of the department:
6. Services provided by Department:
Public Works Department (Buildings and Roads) is a premier agency of the State Government for construction, up gradation and maintenance of roads, buildings and bridges in the State. The department also acts as the technical advisor to the State Government in all aspects of construction activity.
From its inception in 1854, Public Works Department (Buildings and Roads) has been endeavoring to provide technical lead to other departments of the State Government by introducing latest construction techniques and materials, so as to achieve higher standards.
Public Works department has been maintaining material database and has standardized the Specifications, Common Schedule of Rates, Confidential analysis etc. for adoption by all other departments, Boards and Corporations of the State Govt.
The PWD (B&R) has been entrusted by the state Government to undertake primarily the following tasks:
- Construction & Maintenance of New Roads & Bridges;
- Design, Construction & Maintenance of Govt. buildings;
- Undertaking Deposit Contribution works relating to different Departments of Govt. of Punjab as well as of other Local Bodies;
- Fixation of rent of Private premises requisitioned for housing Govt. offices;
- Designs, construction, maintenance and repairs of runway relating to the Aviation Department;
- Development of Parks and Gardens in the vicinity of important Public Buildings and landscaping of grounds;
- Reservation of Govt. Rest Houses and Circuit Houses;
- To permit construction of approaches on both sides of roads to private individuals, institutions, factories, petrol pumps etc;
- To evacuate the encroachments coming along the road sides; and
- All aspects of tendering process right from the pre-qualification stage to the opening of bids and its evaluation.
Realizing the importance of roads in economic development, Govt. of Punjab along with the PWD has initiated several schemes to develop a strong network of roads in the state. Some of the initiatives are:
- Enactment of legislation called "The Punjab Infrastructure (Development & Regulation) Act, 2002" to attract private participation;
- Establishment of the Punjab Infrastructure Regulatory Authority (PIRA);
- Establishment of Punjab Infrastructure Development Board (PIDB);
- Establishment of Punjab Roads & Bridges Development Board (PRBDB);
- Formulating Toll Policy;
- Preparation of concession agreement for Road Projects;
- Initiation of studies for assessment of the potential corridors for private sector participation.
Rapid developments in industrial and service sectors, globalization, growth of population and related socio economic activities have triggered a virtual explosion in vehicle population in the state. The PWD has helped the state to spread its road network far and wide and enjoys the distinction of achieving 100% road connectivity to villages much ahead of the declaration of PMGSY schemes. The department has finalized the policy on the Road Development in Punjab for sustained roads infrastructure development in a planned manner.
As a part of its commitment towards the development of Road infrastructure in the state, Punjab Govt. through Punjab Roads & Bridges Development Board (PRBDB) commissioned a Strategic Options Study (SOS) in 1996 which was later updated in 2004. SOS has paved the path for the World Bank to negotiate a loan with Punjab Govt. for the development of road sector in Punjab in the name of Punjab State Road Project (PSRP). PSRP would cover 7374 kms of state roads comprising SH, MDR and ODR with the objective of upgrading/rehabilitating 1698 kms of roads and periodic maintenance of 5000 kms of roads. The Punjab Roads and Bridges Development Board (PRBDB) had been constituted in 1998 vide Act No. 22 of 1998 as an undertaking of the State Government to act as a catalyst for infrastructure development in the road sector in the State of Punjab. Its purpose is act as a nodal agency to plan and monitor all aspects relating to construction and improvement of roads and bridges in the State. This Board is responsible for planning and deployment of funds on State roads, fiscal management and project management; inter departmental coordination and other key areas. The main objectives of the Board can be summarized as:
- Planning and Construction of new roads;
- Nodal agency for PMGSY works;
- Nodal agency for world bank aided loan projects;
- Nodal agency for BOT road projects; and
- Any other job pertaining to the improvement of roads and bridges infrastructure in the state.
7. Names of Board / Corporations / Commissions / Societies working under the control of the Administrative Department along with information of their Heads as under:
|Name & Designation||Telephone Nos.||Official
|Sh. Mukesh Goel
CE - PRBDB Project
Director SRBDA Punjab State Road Project
|Er. Kewal Krishan Garg
For detailed information:
Department's Website: pwdpunjab.gov.in