Pathankot district (Punjabi: ਪਠਾਣਕੋਟ ਜ਼ਿਲ੍ਹਾ), is a district of Indian Punjab, located in the north zone of the state. Pathankot city is the district headquarters. The district was created on 27 July 2011.
It is located in the foots of Shiwalik Hills. It internationally borders with the Narowal District of Pakistani Punjab. Its also shares borders with the Kathua District of Jammu and Kashmir and Chamba District and Kangra District districts of Himachal Pradesh. Hoshiarpur district shares boundary with this in Eastern Punjab. The two main rivers, Beas and Ravi, passes through the district.
Pathankot was the capital of Nurpur princely state ruled by the Pathania Rajpoots. In Mughal records it was known as Paithan an abbreviation of Pratishthan from which the Pathania Rajputs derive their name, an ancient customed tradition of Rajputs, in which the King almost in all instances took his name from the name of the country where he exercised his dominion. The capital was shifted from Pathankot to Dhameri Nurpur in the time of Raja Basu Dev 1580/1613.
The Kanhaiya Misl, one of the twelve Sikh Misl's ruled this area, from about 1781- 1796, until Ranjit Singh of Gujranwala, took the area, and It remained part of the Sikh Kingdom until 1849, until it's annexation to the British Dominion. The villages of Dhariwal, and Japuwal, and Gurdas Nangal, all In tehsil Pathankot, are very closely related to Sikh History.